What are the job requirements?

The minimum requirements for our teachers are that they are native speakers of English and that they have a university degree.

Applicants who also have prior teaching experience, Japanese language ability and a Japanese driver's license or international driving permit are preferred.

How do I get a visa?

Upon accepting a job offer, Joytalk will begin the process of obtaining work eligibilty. Joytalk will handle this process and guide you through it.

Is it okay that I don’t speak Japanese

Not all ALT positions require Japanese language ability. Enthusiastic and effective communicators can have no problem communicating with their Japanese counterparts with little or no Japanese.

Joytalk provides English speaking support staff for the teachers to call upon in the event that a problem arises in day-to-day life.

Can I choose where I am located?

Joytalk will do its best to place ALTs as close to their desired location as possible. Once a location is settled upon, ALTs will not be asked to relocate during the school year.

What is the ALT salary?

The salary will depend on the position, as well as qualifications, teaching experience and Japanese language skills and as such will be a fixed monthly salary within the range of 210,000 and 250,000 yen per month. Many ALTs have much of August off for the school summer vacation, in which case Joytalk pays at least 65% of the monthly salary for that time.

How much money should I bring to Japan?

It is recommended that teachers come to Japan with at least 200,000 yen to buy basic necessities.

Can I drive in Japan?

Yes, as long as you obtain an international driving permit in your home country before coming to Japan.

Joytalk assists with car rentals for ALTs. The rental fee, management fee, maintenance, and insurance comes out to approximately 20,000 yen a month.

Apply Now